Forms of hosting services
A hosting solution is related to storing and/or sharing certain web content on a hosting server administered by a hosting distributor. There are different classes of hosting services used for various purposes, so let's take a peek at these. Thus, you can choose what you want, depending on whether you desire to establish a site, email accounts, or to share files with comrades and colleagues.
- File hosting: a solution delivered by particular firms, which permits you to share bulky files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archived files, etc. This solution is also known as file storage, and its single goal is to share files, since it does not support site uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either obtain a randomly generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to see a roll of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to load .html or .php web files in your browser. Free-of-charge file hosting plans are often supported by exhibiting adverts next to the download links, while a timer compels you to await a specific interval of time to observe them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you run a paid file hosting package, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download at once, and also there is no restriction when it comes to the download speed or the file size.
At present, with the help of the cPanel hosting traders, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more faddish "cloud hosting". This is a completely wrong explanation of the literal connotation of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting environment would apportion the workload between different groups of web hosting servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to serving miscellaneous site hosting services (email, disk storage, statistics, DNS, databases, site hosting Control Panel, etc.) So, the file hosting solution is simply a type of a disk space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: comparable with file hosting; some corporations offer a hosting service for images solely. This hosting variant is appropriate if you want to share a vast number of pictures with friends or partners since the solution is typically free. You will receive a randomly generated link for every picture or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be utilized for websites.
- E-mail hosting: a solution devoted to managing your mail accounts. Some suppliers offer web hosting solutions for sites, but do not provide an email service. If you desire to set up an e-mail address with your domain name but do not desire to run a web site, then the email hosting service is what you require. You can open e-mail accounts and administer them, but there will be no hosting service for the domains. The email hosting service includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution allows you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a given video file, or you can embed the video clip in your web site that is hosted somewhere else. The advantage of using this method in lieu of uploading the video file in a web hosting account is that the video brings about a given amount of CPU load, so with a couple of video clips and a few hundred website viewers, you may have difficulty with your web site hosting reserves. Embedding the video will allow you to own as many video files as you would like without worrying about system resources.
- Web page hosting: this is the solution that you need if you wish to possess a website. To some degree, it encompasses all of the aforementioned hosting sorts since, along with your sites, you can also host images and files, you can set up databases and email mailbox accounts, upload video files, etc. At Free Hostia, for example, you can take a look at web hosting and dedicated hosting accounts that allow you to have all of the aforesaid services in a single place. There may be restrictions depending on the sort of hosting solution that you've opted for - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your website hosting package may be better or worse in comparison with the normal email/file/video/image hosting accounts that are made for specific web content solely.